The Wellness Spotlight series highlights military spouses and their real world health and wellness journeys in a Facebook live series. Below is an excerpt of Michele’s feature.
What was your lowest moment, when your health suffered the most?
I hit my low when my husband was working at AFRICOM in Italy. We had just PCSd to Kansas and I decided to do a sugar detox while he was gone. The detox uncovered a whole host of hormone challenges and finally led to the diagnosis of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). This condition puts me at higher risk for diabetes, acne, infertility and more. I tried to cure myself through “food” which only made the symptoms worse. During that time, I was underweight and very depressed.
Where are you now in your wellness journey?
With help from my Fort Riley medical team, I finally was able to get back on the right path using a healthy mix of medication, diet and exercise. It’s been more than a year now and I’m off all medication except a topical face cream. I’m exercising daily and eating healthy. And am finally – after four years – healthy enough to conceive. I’m working with a medical team in Virginia that’s given me a lot of hope to have a beautiful family someday soon!
What is one personal habit that contributes to your success?
Meal prepping on Saturday and Sunday!
- Saturday morning, I make my weekly menu.
- Saturday afternoon I go grocery shopping.
- Sunday, I prep all vegetables by …
- Soaking them in warm vinegar water (especially those that aren’t organic).
- I dry them using my salad spinner (lettuce, kale, collard greens, cilantro).
- Chop all veggies I’ll be using for the week and put them in ziplock bags. This helps me organize my refrigerator better. I can actually see what’s in there and am more likely to use it when the time comes because all the hard work it done. All I have to do is open the baggie and drop the vegetable into my recipe.
I also like to make little vegetable snack packs (carrots, celery, cucumber, tomato) for my husband and I to chomp on throughout the week. I usually include a small packet of hummus for dip.
Aaptive App– “It’s like having a personal trainer in my ear for all types of workouts (outdoor running, yoga, weight training, elliptical, meditation and more). They pair the workouts to some great beats!“
(Purchases using the link above will help InDependent cover administrative costs for our programs at no extra cost to you!)
About Michele bradfield
Michele is the Co-Founder and Program Director of InDependent. She is also owns Michele Bradfield | Marketing Specialist where she helps small business and nonprofits get their brands noticed by clients, sponsors, and donors. A proud Army spouse for 8 years, Michele has lived in Germany, Georgia, Kansas, South Carolina and Virginia. Learn more about Michele.