Easy Routine to Invest in Yourself
At first, I dreaded my 4:50 a.m. alarm and wished I could just roll-over and go back to sleep. Now, as I sit in my chair sipping tea and watching the sunrise, I cherish this early morning “me time” while my husband and dog sleep soundly in the next room.
I started this routine about a year ago, and it’s changed my life. I found a practical way to invest in my mind, body, and spirit each day before 8 a.m.
Here’s how I do it:
I usually sleep in my workout clothes — or lay them out the night before — so I can just get up and go.
• 5:00 a.m. - Light breakfast usually consisting of some type of protein — usually eggs or a protein shake.
• 5:30 a.m. - Retreat to my cozy chair with a warm cup of tea. Set my timer for 15 minutes and read a personal or professional development book.
• 5:45 a.m. - Set timer for an additional 15 minutes and enjoy a self-guided meditation.
• 6:00 a.m. - Thirty minute workout. I alternate between yoga, running, and weights — all exercises that can be done from home.
• 6:30 a.m. - Shower and get ready for work. While I’m getting ready I like to listen to National Public Radio (NPR). On Thursday’s I stream my favorite podcasts instead; Balanced Bites or the Jess Lively Show.
• 7:50 a.m. - Settle into my work desk and open my personal email. Catch-up on the day’s current events via theSkimm.
• 8:00 a.m. - Start work.
This type of routine can be adapted to fit all types of lifestyles. It doesn’t have to be morning either. It can be done at night, after everyone’s gone to bed. It may require forfeiting television time, or a precious hour of sleep, but you’ll be better off because of it — I promise. Mark my words, once you decide to make yourself a priority, you’ll magically find time to make it work.
Here are some of my favorite resources to get you started:
Registration is now open for the first ever Military Spouse Wellness Summit co-hosted by InDependent and Army Wife Network! We invite you to Invest in Yourself. Mark your calendars for the week of October 19-24. Listen to this FREE virtual summit on your time, whether at home, in the car, or on the treadmill. Register here.