InDependent was founded in 2013 by Kimberly Bacso, Michele Bradfield, Leslie Brians, Joy Chalmers, and Meg Gotheridge; five military spouses who saw a need in the military community and sought to fill it. InDependent's mission is to connect military spouses to local health and wellness resources, as well as offer virtual and in-person programs in support of their wellness journey. We are fiscally sponsored by Public Health Foundation Enterprises, Inc., one of the nation’s leading 501(c)(3) non-profit fiscal sponsors, serving communities across the nation since 1968.
who we serve
InDependent represents military spouses from all branches of the U.S. Armed Forces, including Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard and the attached reserve units.
our operations team
program director + co-founder
Creative Director + Co-Founder
operations + community manager
advisor + co-founder
it advisor + co-founder
For the Press
Want to talk about InDependent on your website, blog, or press release? Here is where you will find a collection of relevant assets that should make your job easier.
- InDependent is the host of the annual Military Spouse Wellness Summit. Since its creation in 2015, this annual virtual summit has been attended by over 4,500 military spouses from all military branches and located globally.
- Launched in March 2017 a bi-weekly "Wellness Spotlight" series with the goal of sharing the health and wellness stories of military spouses worldwide.
- InDependent partners with more than 50 military spouse contributors to offer relatable health and wellness blog content.
- InDependent runs over 17 private, installation-based community groups, where you’ll find military spouses getting together in homes, coffee shops, restaurants, gyms, yoga studios, and community centers for fitness, food, and fun.
- Our community ambassador program, serves to bring military spouses together at military installations across the country to reduce isolation and promote healthy living.
- InDependent offers a private, military spouse-only Facebook support group for spouses located worldwide, as well as for each ambassador run-community with more than 1,000 members. The broader social media following exceeds 4,200.
- Named by Next Gen MilSpouse as one of the 6 Groups Advocating for Military Spouses You Need to Know and 6 Awesome Online Communities for Military Spouses by Military One Click
logos + branding
Publicity Images | All images are All Rights Reserved by InDependent & PHFE. Modifications, changes, and unauthorized use are prohibited.
If you want more than what you see above, we're happy to help. Just drop us a line!
The information provided on this site is intended to serve as an educational resource and should not replace qualified medical or legal advice. The content is not meant to replace the role of professional attorney, physician, or other applicable professional. It is provided with the understanding that InDependent & PHFE are not engaged in rendering any professional service nor any legal advice nor any medical advice. Mention of agencies or professionals does not imply endorsement. Use of professionals, agencies or individuals mentioned should be researched by those choosing to use them. Research all resources carefully before hiring or purchasing.