This is a Kansas State University research project. Participation is voluntary.
This 10-week journey ditches traditional government training tactics for a modern approach that helps spouses find balance within military life.
Kansas State University Department of Kinesiology and InDependent spent the past 12 months researching military spouse life through surveys, interviews and focus groups. Why? Because we believe you deserve to benefit from a program designed just for you.
So we did it! We wrote a grant, got it, and then created InDependent but Not Alone: Journey to Finding Balance for Military Spouses. We’re pilot testing it exclusively for spouses stationed at Fort Riley, Kansas. Register below. (Limited to 100 people.)
Why should I sign up?
This program isn’t like any military spouse training you’ve ever taken before. We’re not going to talk about FRGs, Key Callers, Care Team or any other role that requires you to serve others. Instead, let’s talk about YOU.
We’re calling this a “wellness program” defined broadly to include a mind/body approach. Think emotional and social well-being, plus physical activity and diet. By combining the two, we’ll teach you how to better cope with obstacles unique to military life, like …
- moving three times in two years
- reading another job application rejection letter
- re-explaining why daddy or mommy is gone
- eating cereal alone — again — on a Friday night
and so much more.
What will I get?
- Kick-off event held April 8, 2017 in Manhattan, KS. (Exact location TBA.)
- Fun, revolutionary 10-week online curriculum. (Short videos and podcasts delivered directly to your email inbox. Participate wherever, whenever it works for you. No daycare or missed work. Yay!)
- Printable worksheets and resource guide.
- Private community forum. (Not a Facebook group.)
- Accountability group. (Five members per team. Join as a team or ask to be assigned randomly. Opportunities to meet online and in-person.)
- One private group coaching session each week.
- Lifetime access to materials.
As a bonus, you’ll also receive …
- A welcome kit complete with items needed to succeed in the program.
- A 10-week FREE online subscription for Plan To Eat.
- Opportunities to win local health-related gift certificates and prizes.
Still have questions? Check out our FAQs.
Who are the instructors?
Assistant Professor of Kinesiology at Kansas State University
Emily is passionate about promoting physical activity as a means to improve quality of life. Her primary goal is for individuals to view physical activity as something they WANT to do (because it's fun and makes them feel good) instead of something they HAVE to do.
When she's not at work, she tries to snuggle, play outside, and travel as much as possible with her husband and two young daughters, Jayda and Maya.
Jill Joyce, MS, RD
Jill is a fellow military spouse and Registered Dietitian with two degrees in clinical dietetics and nutrition. She is currently working towards her PhD in Human Nutrition with an emphasis in Public Health Physical Activity. Her nutrition philosophy is that the goal is to eat sustainably and realistically healthy. When Jill isn’t working, she enjoys CrossFit and walks at the park with her fur babies.
Danielle’s coaching career began at age 15 when she received the "Dear Abby" award at summer camp. Since then she’s used her intuitive gifts and knowledge of hypnosis and NLP to build a business as a Life Coach for military spouses. Her mission is to show people how to believe in themselves even when they don’t think it’s possible, cheer them on when they think they can go no further and celebrate their successes.
A military spouse herself, Danielle spends her time off volunteering as an instructor for the Army, kayaking, and watching (aka - screaming at) football with her husband. She is the mother of 3 adult children and grandmother to 3 adorable boys.
Digital Program Manager
An Army spouse since 2009, Michele and her husband have been assigned to multiple states, one European tour, and is now part of Fort Riley’s Big Red One family. She is a communication and marketing professional who specializes in strategic planning.
When not in the midst of a creative campaign, you can find her walking her labradoodle pup, traveling with her husband, cooking a healthy meal, or hitting the gym.
Who is hosting this program?
Sold! How do I join?
Answer the questions below. We will use this information to determine if you are eligible to participate in the program and to connect you with like-minded military spouses. Information is completely confidential and will not be shared with anyone outside of the research team.